martes, 5 de febrero de 2019

02.05-2019 Cultural Differences concerning TIME

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” ..  Time is what we want more, but what we use worst. William Penn
Monochronic v.s. Polychronic
There are two visions when we talk about time, the one that considere the time as something sacred, that work on schedules, procedures and tasks, and the polychronic which works based on emotions, family, friends, and that time can wait for the rest of the things but first family and love one´s.

I live in a country that is polychronic, you can do what you want if you have friends, connections. Last year a friend of my daughter went back from his mission, he was late to enroll to college so since grandpa is a principal at College, they went to talk with him and ask him to help him to get enroll. And it happened, just like that.

I have being planning to open a restaurant for the past 2 years but since I don´t have the connections and friends I haven´t be able to have the permissions I need to open it. This is a country where for us is very important to have friends and connections, as part of our culture we can change schedules, procedures, tasks, as we want, and sometimes is not fair, to be honest is never fair, but sometimes it has a positive imparct and som
etimes a negative impact on us. It was good for my daughter fiend, but not fair for my permission to set a restaurant.
Image result for monochronic v.s polychronic

On the contrary in the monochronic people can have the assurance that if someone says I am going to do it, they will do it, if they say is going to be on a certain time then it will be done on that time. Like my friend of the United States.

But which is better? I was wondering that talking about church, when I go to the Temple the sessions are always on time,  the conferences, even the speakers are always on time. But is not the same story at our stake activities,  nor the Sacrametnal meetings, why?  Because we bring our culture polychromic, and despite we know that we must be on time, sometimes we say we must wait for the rest of the members that are not here yet. To be honest this is embarassing, becuase we waist the precious time of the one´s that are on time.
But the great questions would be, how do we change from polychronic to monochronic? Is it worthy or should we have some of both? How can we judge when should be one or the other way?

I personally think that Jesus gave an example of being on time, His time, not ours, When his friend Lazarus was sick his sisters Mary and Martha:"... sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick." 
Jesus stayed where he was for two more days,  he didn´t leave his mission. After he went to see Lazarus which has passed away already.
"...Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give itthee.  23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
And he did, our Savior is our guide, we must follow him,  so we must let the holly spirit to guide our path so we can be on time where ever we must be, in His time, in His way so we can enjoy it and make good use of our precious time.

Image result for his time




3 comentarios:

  1. Hello Mrs. Claudia
    I love the way you explain your topic and I have struggles learning the meaning of polychronic and know that mexico is one of the most polychronic countries and I know what they mean with this here in mexico we have an instant life we have fast days full of activity I learn so much things with your post thanks for that.
    Anahi

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Thank you for your insights on time. I think I agree that we should have a little of both poly and mono chronicity. While I was growing up, we lived a lot of time in the bush in British Columbia Canada. There the way of life is attuned to nature more. We didn't always have electricity and the roads were often unpaved. The city here in California, is always rush and worry. So I appreciate the way of Latin America when relationships are so important. You mentioned that in the temple the sessions are always on time, that is usually true, but I've been there and we waited for others to get there, or for a session ahead to finish. Any time waiting in the temple is such a delight to me. I think of those on the other side who have waited for a long time for their work. But I think perception of time there might be very different from ours...like you said...the Lord's time.
    Thank you for your sharing about how things are done in your culture.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. Hi Margaret,
    I live in a big city, to much cars, to much noise, and time, we would like to have more time in important things than in riding from one place to another. When I was a teenager I lived in a little town it was a paradise for me. No rush, time to go to school even 8 hours but we had plenty of time to go to play basketball, to study music, to go to the river and long walks. I miss that having plenty of time and everything was so near, that I was not late. Time back then was so different for me, Now on the perspective of the one´s on the other side of the veil I hope I can have time to help them to make their covenants before I don´t more time in this earth, I am working on it.

    ResponderBorrar